(urth) The Maids of Contessa Carina

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:08:58 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman I agree with Marc Aramini.   I think you are really ON to something here! I
don't think anyone else in the 11 or 12 year history of this list has noted the beheading
hint regarding the maids. (Maybe Roy would know)

Actually I'm a little pissed because just a few days ago (I swear!) I was searching out the
lives of Saints Solange, Kyneburga and Lybe.  In my search I was intrigued by the fact that
two had been beheaded but discouraged that the third one seemed to have died some other
way, and gave up pursuing that.  I'm glad your obsession with Catherine's beheading at the
 Elevation drove you to check and got you to the right sites showing all three were beheaded.

I think the meaning is still far from clear.  And since the first four books were meant to be
complete, how in blue blazes did Wolfe expect anyone to connect Contessa Carina and her
maids to the Elevation ceremony maid without the loggia scene hint in Urth? Perhaps it would
have been possible for some super-genius not ever residing here...but.. Well..anyway.

Assuming there are kaibit maids involved here, who is the original cell donor? Is she an exultant
in the House Absolute or elsewhere or an armigette living in the Citadel? Is the original ever
seen or mentioned?  Was Severian the son of the original or a kaibit?

Dave you seem to be mushing all these characters together as Catherine/Carina. Are you
thinking that there is or isn't a real Carina? And I think you are suggesting that Severian's
mother was in the loggia and in the coffin, while her kaibit(s) served as St. Katharine?

Well, I have to check a few things in the text when I get home.  Hope more comes from this!

-bsharp