(urth) Sev's Silence about Catherine

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:05:31 PDT 2008

Brunians says:

>I don't find any of this speculation about the woman in the torturer's elevation ceremony
>at all convincing.

I have to agree. I thought I was going out on a limb to suggest the remote possibility that
Severian had sex with Catherine and this is the reason for his silence regarding this and
other family ties.

But the text doesn't seem very ambiguous in this Elevation scene. Severian says the sword
is a wooden batten. He calls it a "false blade" as he describes the downstroke. It meets
resistance because it hits the "ingenious mechanism" that elevates a wax head.  The wax
head and real head coveredin fuligin cloth trick is described in detail. And Catherine would
have to have tremendous healing powers to be able to take her severed head, place it back
on her neck and have it instantly as good as new.  Only Severian, as Conciliator, is able to do
 anything close to that and he is limited to restoring withered arms and removing giant tumors.
Well, I guess he cures the sick girl in the jacal also but nothing as dramatic as instantly healing
and restoring a severed head.

-bsharp