(urth) Sev's silence about Catherine

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jun 21 12:40:51 PDT 2008

Andrew wrote:
> This has probably been pointed out multiple times, but surely by
> the end of UOTNS Sev knows his mother's story. We're told
> explicitly that Gurloes and Palaemon must know the parentage of the
> apprentices (Shadow VII). I can't imagine that Sev would not have
> gotten the story from Palaemon in his meeting with him at the end
> of Citadel. Or if not from Palaemon, surely from Ouen.
Are we sure Sev didn't decide to leave well enough alone? He heard from
Ouen that a runaway Pelerine named Catherine was very possibly his
mother. He was also convinced that his mother was tortured to death,
"Soon she would be led away to scream in the Apparatus or gasp in
Allowin's necklace," he says in Claw XXVII. If he made further inquiries
he would be sure to find out exactly how she died, and he might have
preferred not to know. He may never have connected Catherine with the
Katharine of the elevation ceremony, so the possibility that she might
still be alive wouldn't occur to him.