(urth) Eschatology and Genesis

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jun 21 04:41:15 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
 > Nod: He (Meschia) is to come and dwell with me in my land east of
this garden. I will give him one of my daughters to wife.

Before this line, Nod asks "Have you seen Meschia's son?" I believe the
"he" in this line refers to the son, not Meschia himself. It's a
reference to the old Biblical puzzle of Cain's wife. After Cain killed
Abel, he fled to the Land of Nod, east of Eden, and "knew his wife."
Her name and origin are not given in the Bible, so some say she came
from the Nephilim or Rephaim.

I don't think Wolfe literally means that the human race is corrupted by
mating with aliens. The DNA would be so different that there would be no
possibility of offspring. The exultants might have adapted alien
technology to do genetic engineering and cloning. The "royal jelly" idea
about khabits makes some sense; exultants have to grow to maintain their
youth. That could be the reason Talos' play refers to giants.