(urth) FW: size of erebus, et al.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jun 20 07:42:05 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:

> Jeff Wilson says:
>> The giant keeps to channels on the island most of the time, doesn't he?
>> I think he owes more to the other ur-story, the Battle of Hampton Roads,
>> where the Monitor's considerable but not mountainous bulk remains at or
>> below the waterline with only a 10 x 20 foot turret exposed.
>
> Yes, me calling the channels "ocean" could be a notable error since we are
> discussing size. Battle of Hampton Roads! I hadn't heard the Monitor and
> Merrimac battle called that before; thanks! Anyway, the Naviscaput has a
> fingertip so I extrapolate that he has a somewhat human body, not just a boat
> shape.

You're welcome. It confused me for the longest time how there could be a
*naval* battle at a place called Hampton Roads, but I guess I 'm not the
only one and perhaps it is reflected in the network of canals, watery
"roads" that allow the naviscaput to be on the island but still in the
water.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >