(urth) FW: size of erebus, et al.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 19 13:45:02 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:

>> marc aramini says:
>>
>>> I always thought the retconned story of Theseus and the novascaputs with the
>>> enormous sea ship was indicative of the size of the monsters like abaia. the
>>> student's creation must face that enormous sea creature that dyes the ship.
>>> Those stories always seemed to reflect both thematically and factually to Severian
>>> 's main narative.
>
> Though it is a mangled legend, I agree, keeping in mind that it is a naviscaput= ship
>  head monster, the big ship being only the tip of the "iceberg". I always assumed the
>  rest of his body extended down to the ocean floor, his "feet" roiling the benthos as
>  he walked. Seems plausible his entire size could be somewhat akin to a mountain's.

The giant keeps to channels on the island most of the time, doesn't he?

I think he owes more to the other ur-story, the Battle of Hampton Roads,
where the Monitor's considerable but not mountainous bulk remains at or
below the waterline with only a 10 x 20 foot turret exposed.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >