(urth) Dorcas and Fechin (and Catherine)?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jun 19 13:20:08 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:
> In Shadow XI, it says, "She was tall and slender, though not so tall nor
> so slender as Thecla, dark of complexion, dark of eye, raven of hair." I
> don't see that being shorter than Thecla excludes her from the
> exultants; there must be some height variation in that class.
>
> My take on the exultant/armiger distinction is that exultants are
> descendants of space colonist stock, and their families probably had
> power under Typhon. That explains their intrigues against the new source
> of power, the autarchy. The armigers are probably descendants of
> high-ranking military officers of Urth stock. I don't remember the text
> saying they have an intermediate height between exultants and commoners.

I think it's been pretty well established that higher classes are
literally heads above those below them, as average heights go. However,
the exultants seem to do this artificially by creating a companion clone
("khaibit") of each exultant and using the clone as a source of
additional growth hormone ("royal jelly") to achieve an extra several
inches of height. Thus exultant's aren't really of greater stature than
armigers, and their bastards and other cast-offs will be equal in height
as armigers. This also makes them pretenders to nobility who literally
must put others down to raise themselves up.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >