(urth) Dorcas and Fechin (and Catherine)

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Jun 18 23:49:58 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Sev saw only three figures on the roof. The third figure who hid, and who
> was larger than the other two, was Hildegrin.

Sev only saw three figures, and Hildegrin was the only one who came out
of hiding, but the evidence of the Pelerine cloak suggests someone else
was there that night. I don't think it was left by an earlier necromancy
attempt by the Pelerines, as Sev seems to think. He touched it as soon
as he started to get up (Claw XXXI). The location coincidence is too
great. The person wearing it probably rushed out to help Sev, and
perished like Hildegrin when she got too close.

That would explain a curious omission in Citadel. After speaking to Ouen
and learning of Catherine, Sev never tells us that he followed up to see
if the Katharine of the elevation ceremony was his mother. He might have
omitted this if he didn't want to admit to himself and to us that he
caused his mother's death.

I found another bit of evidence that I don't think has been mentioned
about Merryn as Sev's sister. In Citadel IV, Sev has a fever dream and
in it Merryn says, "Ah, sister, you have come at last." (Sev is Thecla
at the time).