(urth) The Severian Behind Curtain #3

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:01:15 PDT 2008

Thalassocrat writes:
>I think "the Temptation" has to refer to something like it would in
>our world, which is certainly the Temptation of Eve. In Sev's
>world, the Temptation of Meschiane. At least on the basis of Dr
>Talos' play, you can have this story without Christianity.

I must agree that in this situation the play's the thing! But if I remember
Eschatology and Genesis correctly, the temptation is for Meschia, to which
he succumbed with Jahi in the first creation and to which he probably will
not succumb with the Contessa in the impending creation. Either way, the
story would appear in Urth's legends thanks to Canog and a visual depiction
would make an appropriate decoration for a brothel. Better than a
Severian-Typhon image, anyway.