(urth) Dorcas and Fechin

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Mon Jun 16 08:39:07 PDT 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:23:30 +1000 b sharp
<bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I like Thalassocrat's post connecting Dorcas and Fechin. Some new
>wrinkles I hadn't considered.
>But if Fechin is Dorcas' father then Casdoe's (or Becan's?)
>father, as an age peer of Fechin, is REALLY
>old. A generation older than Dorcas' husband who appears to be
>dead by the end of Citadel.
>
>I'll resurrect some of my theory (as Dave Tallman remembers) that
>Fechin is Dorcas' husband ... [snip for formatting]

Neither the old boatman nor Fechin can hang on to stuff ... except
(according to Casdoe's f-in-law) Fechin always hang on to his art.
I don't think Fechin would have pawned the locket with Dorcas'
picure.

I think the ages work OK. We know Rudesind is 80+ at the end of
Citadel - at which time he had been a boy "70 years ago". Fechin
was presumably older than him - maybe not by much; say he was born
85+ years ago.

Dorcas seems to have been born about 55-60 years before the start
of BOTNS (say Sev is about 18, Ouen about 40, and that Dorcas had
Ouen when she was about 18). So say 25-30 years after Fechin. It's
not an impossible age difference for them to have been husband and
wife, but ceratinly she couldn't have been the girlfriend described
by Casdoe's father, and it's more consistent with her being
Fechin's daughter.

This does make Casdoe's father pretty old, but then I think he is
the most decrepit & senile old man appearing in BOTNS; and it makes
more sense for him to be in his 80's, than it does for the boatman.