(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun Jun 15 04:38:42 PDT 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:24:12 +1000 Dave Tallman
<davetallman at msn.com> wrote:
> I don't think Sev's prayer is at all
>creepy.
>He is praying based on his conception of a God who has graced a
>human
>life in a miraculous way, and who can say if he is wrong about
>that?

My point is just that it isn't God he reaches with that prayer;
it's himself.

(Citadel XIV) "My mind was among the starry wastes, far from Urth
... and it seemed to me that that to which I spoke was farther
still - I had come, as it were, to the walls of the universe, and
now shouted through the walls to one who waited outside ... I
seemed to see ... through the chink in the universe to a new
universe bathed in golden light, where my listener knelt to hear
me. ... I could see a face and folded hands, and the opening, like
a tunnel, running deep into a human head ... I was whispering into
my own ear ..."

Now you can take that (at least) two ways. Maybe "the Outsider"
hears him, and refers the prayer on Sev himself, indicating that
Sev is indeed some kind of ersatz-Jesus. To me, that is an
overwhelmingly unlikely.

Much more likely, this is an indication that the New Sun religion
begins and ends with Sev. It has no connection to the true
"Outsider".