(urth) The Severian Behind Curtain #3

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jun 14 10:32:00 PDT 2008

I'll accept this as the new thread even though the first theory is a
joke. I'll try to propose a self-consistent set of rewrites of Sev's
life around the drowning incident.

Sev1. (thalassocrat version) didn't nearly drown and got home that night
without incident. He heals and cares for Triskele. When the dog is
discovered, he runs north to the war and becomes a soldier. He does not
become autarch; Baldanders probably does and no New Sun is brought.

Sev2. Identified as a good candidate for the New Sun because the story
of his healed dog got around. His ancestry is checked and he is found to
be a grandson of Fechin (b sharp theory). Hierogrammates begin to
influence his life to make him an autarch.

Sev3. Abaia wants Sev stopped, so Juturna drowns him by catching him in
her hair.

Sev4. Hierogrammates make an aquastor of Sev and save him. The woman who
offered him soup was working for them -- the food was to help him
stabilize but she misjudged the temperature. This Sev glimpsed the face
of Juturna and believes she saved him.

SevN. Many rewrites later, Sev has brought the New Sun. He tells Juturna
she saved him, and she goes along with this in hopes of tempting him in
the future.