(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jun 14 06:56:26 PDT 2008

Andrew wrote:
> This sets up the divergence between Sev1 and Sev2 - as Sev (ie,
> Sev2) says, the graveyard scene is what sets everything else in
> motion, which is the reason why he starts his narrative with it.

I prefer to call him "SevN" instead of Sev2. It is clear that his life
was rewritten multiple times. I think Wolfe tries to avoid time
paradoxes. He usually thinks through the way that something could have
happened without a time-loop, and then applies knowledge from that pass
to modify the next one. For example, he had Sev construct arches so that
he could be found and helped in the far past, rather than rely on a
paradoxical time-loop where he is only found because of his interaction
with Apu-Punchau.

> Wihout it, I believe, Sev1 leaves the Guild with Triskele, in
> effect acting out Sev2's musing about a Triskele heading north to
> the wars with a new master.
>
> SilkHorn's meeting with Sev at the end of SS puts things back on a
> Sev1-track. No Sev2, no New Sun, no Juturna going back to interfere
I found your theory in the archives recently, and I like it. It makes
sense that Wolfe would have planted clues to what Sev's life would have
been like without any interference. I don't think that the LS/SS novels
were conceived that far in advance, though. I think Wolfe took the
opportunity of the new series to repair an old ending which no longer
satisfied him. As the whole set of books is now, it strengthens your
case that the NS ending was an unhappy one.