(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jun 13 07:48:28 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman wrote:
> Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> The worldwide upheavals may have been considered necessary to do away
>> with Abaia, Erebus, and their ilk. It makes sense that something
>> catastrophic would be required, and you'd want to do them as a batch
>> to prevent the survivors of a first strike to grow stronger by taking
>> up the resources of their dead rivals.
>>
> The Ushas upheavals probably didn't destroy Abaia. Juturna, speaking as
> the White Fountain arrives, says he is still planning to "tame"
> (enslave) the human race (Urth XLIII). The religion predicted that the
> New Sun would "kill Abaia" (Sword XXI), but that was probably wishful
> thinking. It is unlikely that a flood would kill a being whose element
> is water.

Please recall, it's not a conventional top-down raining flood, but
involves oceans slopping out of their basins to cover the land, and
eventually the land turning over, continents sinking and new ones rising
to take their place, which implies many of the deep trenches where Abaia
and his forces might lurk will close up or be flushed out. Everything
that lives on Urth has a near-certain chance to die, and it's not likely
there's a special Yesodi effort to preserve Abaia in his own botanic garden.

> (However, it was a setback for Abaia's plans in some way, or
> he wouldn't have sent Idas to try to wreck Severian's mission on the Ship).

Given the Ship's nature, we have no way to be sure when Idas was sent or
from which version of Severian's history they boarded.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >