(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Jun 13 04:07:43 PDT 2008

Jeff Wilson wrote:
> The worldwide upheavals may have been considered necessary to do away
> with Abaia, Erebus, and their ilk. It makes sense that something
> catastrophic would be required, and you'd want to do them as a batch to
> prevent the survivors of a first strike to grow stronger by taking up
> the resources of their dead rivals.

The Ushas upheavals probably didn't destroy Abaia. Juturna, speaking as
the White Fountain arrives, says he is still planning to "tame"
(enslave) the human race (Urth XLIII). The religion predicted that the
New Sun would "kill Abaia" (Sword XXI), but that was probably wishful
thinking. It is unlikely that a flood would kill a being whose element
is water. (However, it was a setback for Abaia's plans in some way, or
he wouldn't have sent Idas to try to wreck Severian's mission on the Ship).

Severian accepts this fact a moment later. He realizes that Abaia will
be left to trouble humanity, like the anvil in the metaphor of the
aquastor Malrubius (in Citadel XXIV). The existence of an adversary is
necessary for the advancement of the human race into Heiros. Severian
finds Juturna is a name to be feared about a century later when he
returns to Ushas (Urth LI).

I'd like to weigh in on why Juturna saves Sev from drowning. She says
"It hasn' t yet occurred. It will, because you spoke." The motive for
saving him can't be in hopes of influencing him not to bring the New
Sun; she's seen that he will do it.

In Citadel XXVIII, Sev says "I am not the first Severian... thus it was
that... the undine thrust me up when it seemed I must drown. (Yet surely
the first Severian did not; something had already begun to reshape my
life)." Juturna must realize the same thing: even if she doesn't save
him he will not drown. (Or he may have drowned and become an aquastor,
as some have theorized about the skull Sev finds underwater -- I like
that idea). Something kept him on the path of his destiny at the very
beginning. If the Heirogrammates didn't intervene until they saw him
become autarch once on his own, then I suggest that divine intervention
caused that first aquastor.

By planning to save him as he says, Juturna increases her chances of
getting out of the House Absolute alive. It's the reason Sev orders her
to be spared. Knowing that Sev owes her something, she can try some
further temptations later. (One such temptation is showing him the path
to the past, where he was very nearly killed).