(urth) The Apu-Punchau Eclipse

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Jun 11 22:09:16 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
>>>At the beginning of UotNS, while on the Ship deck, Severian specifically
notes his weight has been reduced by 7/8. So Roy's assertion that the Ship
is of planetary size is a bit exaggerated but not by so much. A bit smaller
but of similar size to our Moon, and thus surely capable of causing an
eclipse.<<<

These are the facts:

Dan'l said: "Tzadkiel's Ship -- *counting its sails*, is significantly
bigger than a mile in diameter, at least for purposes of shadow-casting.
Solar sails have to be (a) very very large and (b) quite opaque in order to
be effective." [his emphasis]

I backed him up with dimensions cited from the text, and said: "The Ship's
overall size has to be on a planetary scale."

Both our statements concerned the Ship's physical size, not its mass, so
Sev's weight is irrelevant.

-Roy