(urth) Black hole timing, "punishment" etc

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Wed Jun 11 16:48:36 PDT 2008

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 04:19:38 +1000 Dave Tallman
<davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

>All right, how about this explanation? The old man in Casdoe's
>house
>(Sword  XV)  says "That was the brightest day I've ever seen. The
>sun had
>new life to him, the way a man will when he was sick yesterday and

>will be
>sick tomorrow, but today he walks around and laughs so that if a
>stranger
>was to come he'd think there was nothing wrong... They always say
>in prayers
>that the New Sun will be too bright to look at... But that day I
>learned it
>was all true..."
>
>If the sun's output was variable within the old man's lifetime, it

>might
>also have been in Severian's. Then Sev might not find it
>remarkable to see a
>bright day at times. Most of the days he spent as Conciliator were

>cloudy,
>anyway.

Sure, it's possible. And it could be that Roy's interpretation is
correct & the black hole event did happen in Typhon's time. I don't
think there's enough info given to really settle this definitively.
In the end, I don't think it's that important. On either reading,
the notion of a punishment or restraint doesn't make any sense to
me, except as preparation for the genocide to come.

>By the way, have you noticed how the life of Ymar the Almost Just
>parallels
>the life of Severian? He's an apprentice torturer who becomes
>autarch, and
>his career is jump-started by miraculous intervention. He
>underwent the
>trial, too.

Absolutely! It's one of those things that can make you go crazy,
trying to figure out if Ymar and Sev are actually related somehow
or other.