(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Jun 10 19:52:40 PDT 2008

Jeffrey Brent McBeth quoted and wrote:
> I have always thought that the Ship really was there to stage the eclipse
> that saved Sev's bacon. The eclipse was not a coincidence. Obviously, it
is
> a physical impossibility for any vessel to transport or even come near a
> black hole, so if the Hierogrammates are the ones who put it in the sun,
and
> regardless of when it happened, how was the deed done?
Err, not impossible at all.  The easiest way to transport a black hole would
be to dump a bunch of electrons into it and then use an electrical field to
move it around.  If you had a big enough mass and enough time, you could
also just use gravity to move one around.

Neat trick, that, if the Ship can hold it below or above its decks without
getting sucked in. Stipulating such a fantastic container for a baby black
hole, then what? How does it get from the Ship to the center of the sun? Or
failing that, if a fly-by is made and the black hole jettisoned to the
surface of the sun, then what? How long does it take to eat up enough of the
sun to make the textually specified difference in the temperature on Urth?

-Roy