(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jun 7 00:16:02 PDT 2008

> I agree that the picture painted for Sev in NEW SUN isn't the same picture
> painted in URTH. Apparently almost everyone on Urth seemed to believe that
> when the New Sun came, all Urth's troubles would be over; the ice would
> retreat, the growing season be extended and who-knows-what-all. Life on Urth
> would be rosy again, as when mankind first went out to seize dominion over
> the galaxy, or at least as good as things were, in material terms, when
> Typhon ruled.

The teachings of the Conciliator didn't paint a rosy picture at all:

Declan wished to know how Urth would fare when the New Sun came; and I,
understanding little more than he did himself, drew upon Dr. Talos's
play, never thinking that in a time yet to come Dr. Talos's play would
be drawn from my words.

Earlier:
I thought of Dr. Talos's play, in which the ground shakes and Jahi says:
"The end of Urth, you fool. Go ahead and spear her. It's the end for you
anyway."

If the majority of his followers forgot that and turned it into a rosy
promise of utopia that wasn't the Conciliator's fault.