(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 6 22:31:56 PDT 2008

Thalassocrat I don't have strong opinions on the black hole in the sun. I've just seen the point
argued in the past. Actually I find the whole hiero-human cognate race concept a bit squishy and
hard to grasp. And Cyriaca's uncle's story? What the heck is going on there?

Anyway, in regard to seeing the hand of God in this story, I feel I come by that honestly. Since
I'm not religious myself I wasn't looking for it but managed to find it anyway. For me the most
direct, compelling evidence is Wolfe's system for naming things in this series (ignoring saints,
for now).  I think Wolfe has been quoted as saying things are what they are named in this story.

When he uses the word "fusil" he means a flint lock musket, the word's meaning. When he uses
the word "destrier" he means something very close to the definition, a fast war horse.
By this convention, when he uses the word "Abaia" I take it to mean as literally as possible to the
earthly meaning of that word, it being: "a huge, magical eel".  So when Wolfe uses the name
"Tzadkiel" I take that as literally as possible just like his other references. Tzadkiel is, or very
closely resembles, the Judeo-Christian archangel of God's judgement.

I find the hiero-cognate race story rather interesting in this perspective, especially with the Biblical
description that humans are made in God's image. It would seem that in Wolfe's cosmos, angels
have their origins in humans and vice versa. This is the interaction between Briah and Yesod.
I wonder, if Wolfe ever contemplated that hierogrammates might ascend to a higher level by
interacting with the universe that is at a higher level than Yesod. (I think he descibes a universe
lower than Briah, Abbadon). Would Wollfe be so bold as to speculate on the origin of God?