(urth) Typhon

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Fri Jun 6 20:49:10 PDT 2008

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 08:11:12 +1000 Chris Laybourn
<laybournchris at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I just finished a first read of Urth of the New Sun so I'm really
>enjoying this chain.
>
>Can someone explain to me what happens in the chapter where
>Severian encounters Typhon back during his reign?  Typhon wants
>Severian to demonstrate his powers somehow and he pulls a dirk or
>knife and stabs it into a table but then we move on in the story.

>I'm sure there was something implicit in the book but I missed it.

> Thanks

Sev asks Typhon if killing a man by merely striking the table would
be a good demonstration of his powers. Typhon says, "Yep!". Sev
pulls out his dagger and bangs it into the table.

The chiliarch has let Sev into the presence of Typhon with a
concealed weapon. Not good for the chiliarch!