(urth) Severian as a student

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jun 6 00:43:36 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Jeff Wilson quoted and wrote:
>>> The doeskin/manskin pouch thing is not as easily dismissed as most of the
>>> other mistakes. Doeskin and manskin have very different connotations. It
> is
>>> almost impossible for me to believe that Wolfe made that mistake. It is
>>> almost equally difficult for me to believe that dear Dorcas would sew a
>>> pouch made from human skin to house the most celebrated religious icon on
>>> the planet.
>> Why not? The greatest sacrifice to honor the greatest sacrifice.
>
> There are two basic types of sacrifice -- those made voluntarily and those
> in which the subject of the sacrifice is a reluctant participant. The
> overwhelming majority of sacrifices involving human skin are of the second
> kind.

So are the overwhelming majority of crucifixions, yet the cross is still
  a positive symbol for Christians.

> Theories that equate the Conciliator in any meaningful way with Christianity
> are fundamentally flawed.

I'm comparing them chiefly in the capacity of people to honor their
highest beliefs in ways that don't necessarily scan for people of other
beliefs.

> The latter is about the sacrifice of a god for
> the world and the people in it. Severian the Conciliator sacrificed the
> world and the people in it, while he got to survive, sitting on the beach in
> Ushas, writing his second memoir while watching the girls go by and
> otherwise enjoying the pampered pastimes of a petty god.

I don't know that Severian would necessarily be accepted as the Sleeper
in that distant time; he would seem to have no Conciliator abilities
left, and the ability to walk the Corridors of Time doesn't seem
accurate enough to take advantage of impressing people in a particular
place and time. He's a leftover vessel, empty of power except for his
compelling narrative.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >