(urth) Breakfast with Apheta

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Jul 22 15:48:53 PDT 2008

On the morning after Severian bedded Apheta, she brought him breakfast on a
tray. It consisted of "... small cakes, a carafe of cool water, and cups of
some steaming liquid that looked like milk and yet was not milk." (URTH, XX,
146) He ate one of the cakes and drank a cup of the milky fluid, after
Apheta took a bite of one of the cakes. I think this was the only meal
Severian mentioned having on Yesod, and I believe there is some significance
to its components or their combination that eludes me. Any ideas?

-Roy