(urth) REC: THE BONESETTER'S DAUGHTER by Amy Tan

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sat Jul 5 15:41:56 PDT 2008

	THE BONESETTER'S DAUGHTER by Amy Tan

	I just realized that this book is like a fully worked out example of a
Gene Wolfe puzzle story, only with a revealing resolution. It's got
mythologizing, de-mythologizing, nested stories, unreliable narrators,
multiple autobiographies, real science, pseudoscience, superscience,
magic, ghosts, psychic powers, journeys of transformation, colonialism,
war, syncretism, the cruel lives of children, metafiction, and even some
plain old drama, sex, and violence. Even a little torture and a hint of
execution!
	In particular, the successive stories are an example of fictional
relaxation in the 5HC sense, and contributed more to my understanding as
a western reader of the general eastern and specifically Chinese
perspective than everything else I've read, watched, or experienced.
	Highly recommended!

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >