(urth) Father Inire guises

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 4 20:57:42 PDT 2008

Back. Was away in NYC a few days.

Dave Tallman asks:

>Does he [Dorcas' husband] also [like Inire]  have a wry neck (torticollis, a condition
>in which the head is held stiffly to one side)?

I don't know but all those years of poling could produce an awfully wry neck I think.
 BTW, some have concluded this character should be called "Charon" and
that mythological character was the son of Erebus and Night, a nice connecting
 tidbit if he is really greek god analog Father Inire.

Roy posts in response to- The judgement (of value of a theory) is in the domain of
each individual reader here.

with-

>Amazing! Absolutely amazing! I don't know why such a democratic concept
>eluded me.

Well, since we are not voting I don't see what is democratic about it. Seems to me
this list consists of a group of individual autarchs, free to make whatever judgement
they wish. Is there a governing body which assesses the correctness of theories, of which
I am not aware?

Jeff Wilson asks:
>Er, how do you explain Docas' husband being dead *and* immortal? Or the
>well-connected Inire handicapping his earnest search for Dorcas' body by
>doing it manually and alone, one body at a time?

Um. well, if I must defend: Within this interpetation, Dorcas' husband/Father Inire isn't
really dead.  Occasionally playing dead would be a necessary skill for an immortal guy
 who takes on many mortal human roles, yes?  On his bier he is described by Severian
as with a "back so straight, his face in death, so youthful, that I hardly knew him. That's
 a rather odd thing to happen to a dead body (imo) unless the dead body is a shape
changer who wants his wife of many years ago to view him more as she remembered him.

-bsharp