(urth) Sev's common lineage

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jul 1 00:26:54 PDT 2008

brunians at brunians.org wrote:
>> Are there any characters in the Urth Cycle who *don't* have access to one
>> of these increasingly ubiquitous and textually elusive time machines?
>
> I think there's just the one, in Father Inire's apartments in the House
> Absolute.
>
> So no, not everyone, but people who know the House Absolute well would.

What means of time-travel or at least exceptional egress from the
here-and-now are there in the Book vs _Urth_?

In roughly ms order:

  - The vicinity of the Atrium of Time
  - Inire's mirrors
  - Inire's Botanical Gardens
  - Jonas' ship and other relativistic vessels
  - Master Ash's home
  - FB&O's saucer
  - The Ship Tzadkiel
  - Alpheta's portal
  - the "Corridors of Time"/"the Brook Madregot"

and Hethor may have a set of mirrors.

So - one "time machine" in the House Absolute, one "time complex" in the
Citadel, publicly accessible doorways to other times in the Botanical
Gardens, Severian broke Ash's place, and the rest require intervention
by Yesodis, luck to catch one coming by, stealing a spaceship, or
incredible psychic powers.

Piece o' cake!

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >