(urth) The Old Pen Case

Steve McCann steve2mccann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 14:06:53 PDT 2008

Just on a personal note, speaking as a reader being acted upon by the text,
the first time I read the short sun series I was completely floored by the
scene mentioned below. In my experience Wolfe always reveals what's going on
but you have to be open to seeing it. Even though I knew that Horn was dead,
I did not want to believe it. I kept hoping for some kind of "deus ex
neighbor," something to rescue the hero of this series. Reading Wolfe is a
sort of game but, borrowing from Delillo, what's a game to make us feel like
this?
-s