(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Russell Wodell wrustle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 12:51:39 PDT 2008

I don't think this debate is specifically about Christian and/or Catholic
dogma. I do think that Gene Wolfe is a devoute Catholic, and that by
infusing his work with careful moral ambiguity, thus triggering this debate,
he believes that he is encouraging his readers to do God's work.

2008/7/18 b sharp <bsharporflat at hotmail.com>:

> The discussion would become quite interesting if Paul B was a Christian.
> Are you Paul?
>
> I really have no quarrel with a person who accepts no entity as a moral
> superior and who
> holds God and angels to the highest standards of his own morality. In the
> real world.
>
> But this is fiction. Do Wolfe's intentions matter at all?   Paul, if you
> are arguing that the
> Hierogrammates are of questionable morality by your standards I think your
> point is made,
> very, very clearly.
>
> If you are arguing that the Hierogrammates are of sub-angelic status by
> Wolfe's standards
> I think you need to use a lot more text quotes to support that.
>
> But either way, answering that simple question would clarify this entire
> discussion:
>
> Are you judging the Hierogrammates by your moral standards or Wolfe's?
>
> -bsharp

Russell Wodell

"Quanti canicula ille in fenestra"