(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:51:07 PDT 2008

I'm aware of that, though the identity of the panther is problematic.
Wolfe simply calls him the "All-Beast" in the chapter title. Qanju,
the speaker in the passage I quoted may be somewhat confused. He
identifies the panther with Angra Manyu, but immediately thereafter,
Thotmaktef identifies Angra Manyu with Set.

Later on, Sahuset, the magician, suggests that the panther is not Set,
but his servant. The panther seems to confirm this--he calls himself a
god on p. 152 but refers to a "master" on p. 153. Later bits on Set
seem to make it clear that he is not the Devil.

>From this I take it that the panther is not literally Satan but is
some kind of evil principle temporarily serving Set--but the kind of
evil principle that eats stars.  When Wolfe tells us about an evil
spirit explicitly associated with blackness that eats stars, it's on
purpose.