(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

John Smith jsmith2627 at att.net
Thu Jul 17 05:13:15 PDT 2008

Maybe I'm trying to split a hair.    I agree that the
hymn approves the bravery and other admirable conduct
of soldiers.   But it asks us to use martial virtues
in a good cause.    I just don't see this as an
endorsement of "militarism."

Perhaps my disagreement is with the word "militarism",
which I take to mean a reliance on aggressive military
force.    You're right to say most Christians in most
eras have supported just wars.

Jack