(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 16 23:14:23 PDT 2008

John Smith wrote:
> I won't try to defend the Crusades but you're giving
> the hymn  "Onward, Christian Soldiers" a bad rap.
> The hymn does not promote militarism.     The
> "Christian soldiers" are not military men who are
> waging war on heathens.   They are Christians who are
> urged to advance Christian ideals LIKE soldiers going
> into battle.   Listen to the words and I think you'll
> agree.

II Timothy 2:3 (KJV): "Thou shalt endure hardness, as a good soldier of
Jesus Christ."

It doesn't have to be literal military action, using martial similies
and metaphors for correct behavior is still an approval of militarism.
You don't see hyms that say, "onward Christian harlots" or "onward
Christian usurers" do you?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >