(urth) What's So Green About Ushas?

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 05:12:05 PDT 2008

I like Tony Ellis' explanation of the Green Man, being the equivalent of Master Ash-
an alternate future to Ushas. It explains why he doesn't seem to fit with the UotNS
Ushas and Hiero-dudes.  Tony supports the position well with the text.  I'll add that
in their initial meeting, Severian and the Green Man have a bantering discussion but
at one point they are hit by a sudden disgust for each other and debate over which
one of them is really human.

I can imagine a Gene Wolfe in his 40's writing this book, having a crisis of conscience.
He sees the passive, do-nothing, wait-for-a-savior nature of much of humanity and
recognizes there is no real future in that.  Having passed through the hippie 60's and
granola 70's I can imagine him questioning his own faith and spirituality.  I can
stereotype vegetarian, secular humanists as, like the Green Man, very nice, honorable,
caring people, and I can imagine Wolfe wondering if that was the way to go.

Religion seems to have won the battle though.  Wolfe could see an even more noble
future for humanity than becoming a giant hippie commune.  I've always imagined
that the Hierogrammates evolved into or created a superior cognate race that passed
on to that universe which is higher than Yesod.

The process would continue until The Increate is formed at the end, which is also the
beginning (says God: "I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last"- Revelation 1: 8).
Leads to the interesting idea that while Man was made in God's image, God was made
in Man's image also. (is THAT what the Sistine Chapel ceiling is all about? ;-))

-bsharp