(urth) What's so Green about Ushas?

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Wed Jul 16 02:15:17 PDT 2008

Roy wrote:
> I don't think the Corridors necessarily led to alternate realities, just
> different points in time.

I think if that was true, there would only have been one corridor, as
there was when Tzadkiel first showed Severian the Brook Madregot.
Severian is now talking about a multitude:

"All about me stretched the Corridors of Time, waving meadows roofed
with the lowering sky of Time and whisperous with the brooks that
ripple from the most supernal universe of all to the least." UotNS, LI

Brooks, not brook, you notice. Severian goes on to say "Behind me
along a line that seldom exists, Apu-Punchau, the Head of Day, stepped
from his house and squatted to eat the boiled maize and roast meat his
people had left for him." If the corridors only lead to different
points in the same time-stream, I don't see how Severian can look back
and see a reality that 'seldom exists'.

The quotes you give where the Green Man talks about his future still
make sense if he comes from one of a multitude of futures. For what
it's worth, I think that at the time those lines were written, long
before UotNS, Wolfe may well have intended them to be read in the
stricter sense you suggest. But I also think that by the time UotNS
came along Wolfe had changed his mind about a few things.