(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jul 14 15:38:38 PDT 2008

John Watkins wrote:
> At least, that's the sense I get from the juxtaposition of "time turns
> our lies into truths" and "When a demon mimics a god, it can not help in
> some ways becoming like a god."

> This does not mean that I think the Hierogrammates are properly
> understood as archangels.  Despite the name, Tzadkiel seems more
> sinister than that, and the scheme--genocide to further evolution--seems
> very morally problematic.  But, again, I'd be surprised if the
> presumably evil Hierogrammates posing as presumably good angelic beings
> has no significance other than messing with our and Severian's
> assumptions.  There's got to be something more going on than evil aliens
> manipulating Severian to bring about devastation--I just don't know what
> it is.

I'm thinking it is intended that the Hieros built the Hierogrammates out
of hubris in attempt to make a perfect, godlike creature. They are thus
living graven images and as false gods they pose at being God but fall
short. Tzadkiel personally aims a bit lower by taking the name of angel,
but is still sorely flawed. The 'Grammates are the BOTNS equivalent of
DOORS' Goddess or the deities in the SOLDIER books; beings of real but
inferior spiritual power. They can play the roles of God or one of the
heavenly host, but eventually limits and conflicts of interest will
break down the facade.

In this light, the Hiergrammates may then be more properly considered
evil creations than evil beings; they may not have been given the choice
to not pursue the Hieros' agenda, or to consider if their mandate may
not come from the Increate.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >