(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 10:17:23 PDT 2008

I see we haven't moved much farther.

Firstly, I would suggest that you stop calling the Hierogrammates "angels".
They are created by humans (Hieros), and you have yet to provide convincing
evidence of their ties to anything godly.   Superior knowledge alone is
certainly no such evidence (see Baldanders).

Secondly, denying their godliness doesn't make one a "secular humanist".  It
makes one a skeptical reader who doesn't add what he pleases to the text.

Finally, you seem to insist that knowledge and morality are proportional.
God knows all, the Hierogrammates know less, the average Urthlings don't
know very much, and an arctother knows even less than that.  This you insist
makes the Urthlings unable to morally judge the Hierogrammates, just as the
arctother can't judge the Urthlings.

Even the Hierogrammates, however, are still making probabilistic guesses, as
Roy's UotNS quote proves handily.  Your system of "morality" thus suggests
that whoever can make the most informed guess in a closed system is the
moral superior and not to be challenged.

Now again consider Baldanders, likely the most knowledgeable, and
incidentally one of the more immoral, human characters on Urth.  I presume
you'll balk at the idea that he's the superior moral agent on all of Urth,
but I'll look forward to your explanation why this isn't the case given the
morality you advocate.

Paul