(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sun Jul 13 23:47:46 PDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 16:58:53 -0400 "Roy C. Lackey"
<rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

>Wolfe shows the Hierogrammates to have their own self-serving
>agenda. He
>shows them as powers above the stage manipulating events on Urth,
>and their
>intentions to continue manipulating the humans of Ushas to achieve

>their
>desired, and acknowledged, ends. It's too much to quote it all
>here, but it
>is right there in black and white in the dialogue Severian had
>with Apheta
>immediately after the fight with the sailors. In order to achieve
>their
>goals, the Hierogrammates will have to do unto humans exactly what

>the
>Hieros had done unto them in another universe. As Sev said to
>Gunnie then,
>"That's their justice, their whole reason for being. They bring us

>through
>the pain we brought them through."
>
>If the Hieros of that other universe sinned by cruelly fashioning
>the
>Hierogrammates (which seems to be axiomatic in the Urth Cycle),
>then the
>Hierogrammates will be guilty of the exact same sin in Briah, and
>will start
>the whole ugly cycle all over again. The morality of the actions
>of
>self-serving creatures of Man's creation is not above the reproach

>of any
>man.
>
>One's having power that is greater than another does not define
>morality.

Given all this, I still can't figure out why you believe that the
Hierogrammates are working directly for the Increate. They weren't
created directly by him; they display no apparent superiority to
man apart from wielding greater power; their explicit agenda is
entirely self-serving with no hint of holiness or whatever. And so
on ...