(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:31:42 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> I move that we adopt my term "Yesodis" to mean the current and former
> inhabitants of Yesod during the period of the Book and their non-human
> servants, including the Hierodules, Hierogrammates, and Hieros. It's
> certainly easier to spell and shorter.

This term isn't terribly good because it confounds the human Hieros with the
alien Hierogrammates, as well as confounding the present with the past.

I don't see much evidence that the Yesodis are the proximate cause. It's
> possible that they created the the White Fountain, but it seems to be
> Severian who draws it to Urth. They seem to work pretty hard to make sure he
> is there to keep it from striking Urth at the last second, too.

I bet God didn't put a black hole in Urth's sun either.  It's pretty likely
he had little to do with the white hole, too.  The personal power Severian
holds in these matters seems to be uncertain at best, no?  How did you get
the conclusion that he's responsible for the white hole not striking Urth?
Or directing it at all, for that matter.

> --
> Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
> < http://www.io.com/~jwilson <http://www.io.com/%7Ejwilson> >

Paul