(urth) Maximinus Thrax

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:05:36 PDT 2008

You know, something just struck me as I was rereading Dr. Talos' play,
and now I don't have my book so I can't quote chapter and verse, but
look at the section wherein Nod and the Prophet are talking.  Nod is
talking about the white fountain coming to cure the black hole at the
heart of the sun, and admits that it will cause death and destruction
(eschatology) but that this follows in the natural sequence of the
world.  Nod asks whether he should hate a wound because the wound does
as it is its nature to do.  Maybe from a more global perspective, the
coming of the New Sun isn't something that's the result of conscious
moral agentive choice, but rather just a completely natural occurrence.

Of course, tucked in to Thomistic natural law hierarchy, this means
that it is God's eternal nature which has decreed this to happen, so
I'm not sure if God gets off the hook for eschatology, but certainly
the Hieros and Severian are just cogs in the wheel if Nod is to be
believed.

Lane