(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:19:15 PDT 2008

Sure, moral relativism can solve any ethical difficulty, if by "solve" one
means "circumvent".  However, the reason it might be less interesting to
pursue here is precisely due to the nature of the author whose worlds, in
all likelihood due to his personal beliefs, have mentions of absolute Truth
and hence an absolute Morality to boot.  The Increate or the Outsider or
what have you is not compatible with moral relativism.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> Paul B wrote:
>
>> I don't understand the difficulty in holding a race of aliens, even an
>> advanced race, to a moral standard.
>>

> The difficulty is in agreeing on the units of moral judgment. A
> Hierogrammate may be a race unto themselves and destroy an intelligent
> individual whose actions they disklike the way you or I destroy itchy nerve
> fibers by scratching ourselves or remove warts from each other's bodies.
>
> --
> Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
> < http://www.io.com/~jwilson <http://www.io.com/%7Ejwilson> >

Paul Borochin