(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 12:56:59 PDT 2008

Now we've strayed into my territory (philosophy!).

I think that the analysis given of the Hierogrammates is too one-
sided, ethically.  We're assuming that morality works on a broadly
utilitarian basis:  e.g., it is somehow better to save the population
of Urth than let it pass away.

Rather, if we look at the moral actions internally, we ask whether it
is morally right for Severian to bring the New Sun, not on the basis
of what effects it might have, but whether that act was right in and
of itself.  Analogizing to Biblical morality, look at the use of
Noah's Flood to wash away what passed for a degenerate Earth/Urth.
I'm no Catholic, so I don't know if there is a standard dogmatic
theodicy that is accepted in response to the problem of evil, but I
think that the majority-Christian view on that argument is the "God
has his reasons" theodicy.  In other words, it is unquestionable and
axiomatic that God does only good things.  So sending the Flood (make
of that what you will) is a good act.  Even if we cannot understand
how it is good, if God has his reasons for it, they may be beyond what
we can understand, being finite mortals and all

Then again, the Hieros don't suffer from God's disability in this
case, as it were.  They're not perfect beings, so they don't have to
always act perfectly good.  They may see it necessary to do evil in
order to do some greater good, so they may accept that Severian must
destroy Urth to get to Ushas. After all, this is eschatology and
genesis we're talking about here, death and rebirth.  And perhaps
we're guilty of imposing a mortal, linear-time-bound morality upon
beings that are not so bound.  Maybe we view death and destruction as
"bad" in and of themselves, when really they're just a necessary step
along the way to birth/rebirth?

Lane