(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jul 10 09:44:27 PDT 2008

Paul B wrote:
> The fundamental moral facts in this case are that 1.) we know they can
> save the population of Urth and 2.) they choose not to.  This makes any
> outcome morally suspect according to most ethical frameworks.  As long
> as 1.) and 2.) are facts, the Hierogrammates cannot be good guys.

I'm stuck by the parallel to the original Trek episode, "Empath", where
the crusty, mean aliens torture McCoy within a whisker of death to see
if the mute healing empath woman can/will cure him at the cost of her
own life, before deciding to use their limited resources to save the her
planet instead of others in danger.

Remember that the Hierogrammates are long-lived aliens from another
dimension with rather fluid individualism, as at least some of them
merge and split off intelligent parts of the greater whole. This and the
whole time travel issues can give them such a skew outlook or moral and
ethical values that they can be grim benefactors while still pushing
humanity's evil buttons early and often.   C.S. Lewis might compare them
to parents adopting a wounded war orphan from some distant land and
forcing them to undergo painful medical procedures without explanation
because they don't yet share a common language, lest the child die
before one or the other can learn.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >