(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:48:58 PDT 2008

Sure, I'll take a quick stab at this, being of the aforementioned
"Hierogrammates are not as good as they seem" persuasion.  They admit to
wanting to condition humanity to become the Hieros.  This conditioning can
come in all sorts of forms, and the spiritual is certainly not to be
discounted given how secular Urth is.  My contention is that they need a
mystical account of what they've done to Urth for it to matter, like a
certain other flood, for which they recruit the mostly unwitting Severian to
act as a mystic and write The Book of the New Sun as a mystical testament to
what otherwise would be a pretty secular and unpleasant occurrence.

Don't forget that Urth isn't the only human-inhabited planet, and as the
Anchorite mentions if they wanted to save the population there were less
murderous ways to do it - planetary evacuation in Ragnarok scenario.  I
believe this suggests that they instead wanted to do something else to the
population, and Severian's mystical roles as Apu Punchau, the Conciliator,
and the Sleeper may well have something to do with it.  I see him as a
social engineering tool.

Curious about others' opinions though, myself.

Paul