(urth) b sharps's Inire theory

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Sun Jul 6 12:55:44 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> Jeff Wilson quoted and wrote:
>>> The theory that Inire is Rudesind, Fechin and Boatman (maybe some others,
>>> but not now) is predicated on similarity of physique, simian in nature.
> The
>>> other component is that Inire is a Hierogrammate. Like Tzadkiel (hell, he
>>> may *be* Tzadkiel), he is capable of assuming any form, large or small.
>> Stop. There is no evidence Tzadkiel can assume _any_ shape. It has
>> several at its disposal, but we do not know if they are finely
>> customizable. Also, we do not know that Hierogrammates are a race that
>> share the same abilities. They might be a society or a class of beings
>> in the way the Megatherians are, with varying abilities and hindrances.
>
> I don't know how many forms a Hierogrammate can assume, but the apport on
> the Ship started out as a fur-ball and eventually morphed into the small,
> hairy man-shape that was Zak. (See long paragraph, URTH, IX, 68, near end)
> Zak became Tzadkiel of the Trial. Sev later met giantess Captain Tzadkiel
> who turned one of her fingers into a woman-sized version of herself. The
> captain seemed to be ignorant of Trial Tzadkiel's doings. She spoke of her
> *race's* ability to change shape and said that broken-off pieces of her
> larger self would inform her greater self of anything they learned. (XXIV,
> 176, last page) Small Tzadkiel also was ignorant of her larger self's doings
> with Sev.

Okay, so T's race can take different shapes, and split off independent
parts, stipulated. But can T's race take on a multitude of different
faces? And where is it writ that Inire is a member of T's race?

>>>  he can have multiple versions of
>>> himself that maintain separate existences that need not be aware of each
>>> other at any given time. Thus the Boatman and Rudesind can both be
> telling
>>> the truth to Severian about their life stories, even while living
>>> simultaneously.
>> This hypothesis seems safely unfalsifiable. If they have separate lives
>> and memories, how is it remotely useful to consider them the same
>> character?
>
> Useful? In the same way that Tzadkiel found the practice useful, I suppose.
> Trial Tzadkiel became Zak just for kicks, so he could get to know Sev. Inire
> could marry for the love of young women, just as men do. But he could do it
> more than once, and at the same time, if he was a Hierogrammate. And he
> could manipulate events to cause Sev to become the New Sun. Note that I said
> that split-off versions *need not* be aware of another version's doings, but
> they could if they wanted to, particularly Rudesind and Inire. They may all
> get together, by and by.

Suppose I am Inire, and too busy doing transcendent things to date. How
does it help me quench my desire for a young lady's company to bud off a
boatman who departs, perhaps to reunite in 50 or so yeasr, perhaps not,
especially when I am already in close cahoots with the owner of a
youth-oriented clone bordello?  Surely he could keep a really young one
on hand, perhaps in return for a new section of the Botanical Gardens
for he and his bees to enjoy?

Hmmm - maybe that's where the Catherines come from?

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >