(urth) Father Inire guises

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sat Jul 5 08:46:48 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
> If he was Father Inire then I doubt he was really spending so much time poling
> around. More likely it is a designed act to draw Severian into resurrecting Dorcas.
> Yep, he lies. But so does Severian, Apheta, Tzadkiel, even the old autarch who
> says he doesn't lie.

Yes, if Inire is really playing all these roles he must be lying.
Likewise he can't be a full-time painting cleaner as Rudesind. He must
also know perfectly well where Dorcas is really located if he expects
Sev to stumble into her and resurrect her. The paper with the
coordinates he shows Sev must be a lie.

One detail that ought to be explained: Dorcas has a dream in which she
is placed (or moved) in the Lake at a location near shore by an old man
who doesn't seem to know she is there. If this was Father Inire, he
would know. If it was a chant-caught "Charon" he might move her without
knowing he did it.