(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Jul 15 19:12:04 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Paul B wrote:

> Hierogrammates are the creation of advanced humans.  A creator's making a
> creation better than itself is questionable, and the Hierogrammates give
> little indication of being better than high-tech humans at any rate.
>
> After all, humans/aliens with advanced powers like time-travel are a common
> enough SF idea.  Usually these advanced, intertemporal interlopers don't get
> special moral privileges.  Just because this particular variety of the trope
> claims to be higher beings akin to angels is no reason to believe it.
>
> Fundamentally I believe they're still the same order of beings, just with
> bells and whistles.

No, I think they are a step higher in the hierarchy of the great chain of
being(s), ie they are of the order of angels/planets/spirits in the
medieval worldview.  Because they have "advanced powers like time-travel"
they have escaped conventional causation, and are godlike in that sense.
I think Wolfe's answer to the paradoxes of FTL/time travel is that you
have to have god-like mental abilities to keep it all straight.  And as
such, they are incomprehensible to creatures like us still bound in
time.  So why do Abaia and Erebus require subjugation of the humans of
Urth when as Severian says, they could eradicate humankind in a day?

One of the ways I see BotNS is as a dialogue with Frank Herbert in _Dune_
and _the God Makers_, Delany's _Empire Star_, and Stapledon's _Star
Maker_.  The Autarch *is* the K.H. with safe (cf the Vodalarii) access to
a sort of race memory, the hierogrammates *are* fiddling with the
evolution from universe to universe both temporally/sequentially and
simultaneously, if the hero can attain a multiplex viewpoint, the Empire
can be saved.  And then, even if they aren't the Increate, they still
can "move in mysterious ways" and invoke exactly the same difficulties as
we have with the problem of evil etc.

Cheers, David.