(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 13:18:52 PDT 2008

I don't know about Paul, but I'd be more interested if we focus on the
question of whether the Hierogrammates are intended to be (unfallen) angels
by Gene Wolfe.  Without my books at hand, the argument for this appears to
be:

1)  "Holy" is part of their name.

2)  Tzadkiel has a winged form that Severian identifies as an angel.

3)  Severian thinks Hierogrammates serve the Increate.

4)  Wolfe referred to Tzadkiel as an "angel" in an interview.

The argument against the Hierogrammates being angels, as I understand it, is

1)  Catholic theology posits that angels are perfectly moral, but the
Hierogrammates frequently engage in morally dubious if not outright evil
behavior.

2)  Hierogrammates, unlike angels, are not direct creations of God.

3)  Most of the arguments that Hierogrammates are angels are hearsay.

I think these are both colorable arguments, but I come down on the "not"
side.  The Hierogrammates are obviously *spoken of *as angels, but they are
just as obviously not two things that are *essential *to the meaning of the
word "angel."