(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:10:53 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

> Baldanders only expected them to ring bells.

I'm sorry, this is dead wrong.  The actual phrase was  "[the bells] toll
the deaths of continents".  Baldanders knew perfectly well what would
happen, and he explains that "waves of gravity" are the cause.

> Is there a problem with this, even if true?  I know some religions that
> consider everyone to be a sinner.
>
> It allows us to consider the Hierogrammates as imperfect but doing the best they could, like the rest of us, instead of absolutely good or absolutely evil, as we have tended to go in this discussion.

I've actually been advocating for putting them on an equal moral footing
with humans, not demonizing them outright.   That comes later!  Killing the
vast majority of a planet's population of your moral equals reflects badly
on you.  As I've insisted, a responsible moral framework (deontology)
doesn't much care what the outcome of your actions is.

Paul