(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jul 16 17:56:38 PDT 2008

brunians at brunians.org wrote:
> Oh no, the one supernova a year is the total number of supernovas. I was
> speculating maybe an occasional one happened less than by pure chance. And
> supernovas are huge events, clearing out big chunks of galaxies.

Where on earth did you study Astronomy?! Supernovas actually increase
the number of stars in a galaxy when their shockwaves cause nearby
nebulas to clump and collapse into new stars.

> Plain old
> novas happen about three and a half times a year in just this galaxy
> (according to http://www.springerlink.com/content/h0661351216h1326/) and
> are sufficient to wipe out a stellar system. It's not inconceivable that
> intelligent beings might learn how to make one happen.

Since a nova involves a post-red giant stellar remnant, the solar system
is already destroyed except for the close companion star necessary to
supply mass for the nova events. There won't be any naturally habitable
planets left, and anyone resettling the system will be able to see what
they could be in for.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >