(urth) Juturna's Time Direction

Brian brian at studiobl.com
Wed Jul 16 11:42:56 PDT 2008

(apologies if this appears twice)

In UOTNS, Juturna   sticks her head and arm into the throne room.
Severian asks her if she   remembers saving him.  She says she does not,
that it has not happened yet, but   that she will (save him, presumably)
since he has spoken.  This suggests that   Juturna is running backwards
through time similarly to Ossipago, Famulimus and   Tobedwego (can't
remember that last name.)

Severian thinks   Juturna is dying, crushed beneath her vast weight, but
when the throne room is   flooded, she gives a cry of triumph.  Presumably,
the flooding may wash her into   deep enough water that she lives.

So, it seems like   Juturna is moving backwards in time, survives her
suicidal entry into the throne   room, and saves Severian from drowning.

I hadn't noticed   before that Juturna was one of the backward-time
characters.  Am I barking up   the wrong tree here?

Also, in UOTNS, Idas   says she is as human as he, one of the people of
the lords of the ocean and   underground.  If creatures like Erebus, Abaia,
etc. are also underground (which   I had never noticed before), they may
survive a flood.  They must be smaller   than the underwater people, since
without the support of the water, they would   be crushed by their own
weight.

Any other mentions   of these underground lords that Idas is talking
about?

-Brian