(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Jul 16 10:34:13 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:17 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>> Seriously: we're supposed to be talking about the writings of someone
>> who is ... famously Catholic, with ... some really nonstandard
>> theology,
>
> I know Wolfe considers himself to be orthodox. What bits of heresy
> do you
> accuse him of? I don't see any that's explicitly in there....

The outright rejection of pacifism (which I believe is pretty clear in
the interviews) seems to directly repudiate much of the Sermon on the
Mount, which I think I am being pretty orthodox in believing to be
among the very centralmost of Christian positions (although, yes, of
course you can point to the moneychangers, and, yes, then you can
point to Christ carrying a scourge...but I think that most orthodox
theologians would react pretty violently to the suggestion of Christ-
as-Torturer, which is among the fundamental metaphors underlying the
New Sun).

I keep getting whiffs of Manicheanism as well, although that is
proving much harder to pin down.

Adam